[geeks] Looking for a Modern Motherboard w/ Dual Floppy Support

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Thu Apr 12 14:12:53 CDT 2012

On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 15:46:10 -0400
"J. Alexander Jacocks" <jjacocks at mac.com> wrote:

> Actually, I specifically need to create images from, and write images
> to Amiga, Atari ST, Apple II, and Commodore 64 disks.  Several of
> these platforms have alternate tools (ADTpro, Amiga Explorer,
> ZoomFloppy, etc.), but I'd like a universal solution.  And yes, in
> addition, I'd like the ability to read/write both 3.5 and 5.25" PC
> floppies.
OK. Commodore 64 calls for somthing like DiscFerret. AFAIK normal
PeeCee floppy controlers can not generate the GCR encoding that the
1541 uses.

> And, I've found the same.  However, I don't _really_ know what
> DiskFerret's capabilities are.  It's hard to decide to spend money on
> something, when you aren't sure it's even designed to do what you
> want.
The DiscFerret is a freeware / open source project. It lives from the
support of its users. As I understand it: It is not that much of a plug
and play solution. It is a construction kit, a base from which you can
develop your own solution to fit your special needs. You are expected
to tailor it to your needs. Though, there seems to be a supply of ready
to use solutions to some common problems. As far as I understand
DiscFerret, you can do _anything_ and _everything_ with it.

About the cost: The PCB costs #25.00. At least for me that is low
enough to just give it a try. If it doesn't fit your needs, well, resell
it. I am sure you will get much of your money back.
--

\end{Jochen}

\ref{http://www.unixag-kl.fh-kl.de/~jkunz/}