[geeks] anyone know Vaios?

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Fri Apr 6 07:07:13 CDT 2012

On 04/06/2012 05:05 AM, Mouse wrote:
> According to envstat -r, the battery is at 100% charge, but its voltage
> is only some 3.9V, vs a design voltage of 11.1V.  These seem
> inconsistent with one another to me, so I infer something is broken to
> at least some extent.  But I don't know such things enough to know what
> (and I recognize the fault there could be just my expectations), hence
> my mail....

My assumption would be that the controller has allowed cells to drift
outside of the very narrow charge range allowed for a lithium-ion cell,
and you now have only one working cell bank in the battery.  IT's
reporting fully charged, but that doesn't help you.  If it's reporting
the battery pack fully charged at 3.9V, the pack's toast.  You MIGHT be
able to recover it by opening it and individually charge-cycling the
cells, but the odds are you're looking at new cells.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.