[geeks] anyone know Vaios?

Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Fri Apr 6 04:05:03 CDT 2012

>> If anyone knows their battery subsystem, or even somehow has a
>> manual that explains, I'd be interested.
> Most likely you will not find any real manual.  (Manual as in
> schematics etc.)

I don't really expect a manual that useful to exist, at least not
outside Sony.  But it seems to me there might well be some
documentation of what the semantics of the fast-flashing battery light
are, at least.  All the doc I've found describes only four states: on,
off, the "charging" double-flash, and a "low battery" state in which
both the battery light and the power light are flashing.  Nothing on
this syndrome.

> If you are in luck you can open the battery pack and replace the
> individual cells.

If I could be reasonably sure the battery pack is the part at fault, I
well might try that.

> Keep in mind that batterys are consumables, be they primary or
> secondary cells.  Especially LiIon accumulators as found in laptops
> last only a few years and 300 or 500 charge-discharge cycles.  They
> are knowen to degenerate faster when stored fully charged or
> discharged.

According to envstat -r, the battery is at 100% charge, but its voltage
is only some 3.9V, vs a design voltage of 11.1V.  These seem
inconsistent with one another to me, so I infer something is broken to
at least some extent.  But I don't know such things enough to know what
(and I recognize the fault there could be just my expectations), hence
my mail....

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org