[geeks] anyone know Vaios?

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Fri Apr 6 02:42:45 CDT 2012

On Fri, 6 Apr 2012 00:16:46 -0400 (EDT)
Mouse <mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG> wrote:

> If anyone knows their battery subsystem, or even somehow has
> a manual that explains, I'd be interested.
Most likely you will not find any real manual. (Manual as in schematics
etc.) Laptop batterys contain somewhat complex electronics, a Battery
Management System. The BMS cares about things like under- and
overvoltage, max. current protection while (dis-) charging. It takes
care about balancing the individual cels. (balancing = ensureing that
all cells have equal voltage to protect individual cells of
over-(dis)charging.) Manytimes this includes a microcontroler with
suitable firmware to monitor battery status, count (dis)charge cycles,
calculate capacity, ... and sometimes this microcontroler talks to the
rest of the machine via I2C...

If you are in luck you can open the battery pack and replace the
individual cells. Most of the time they are 18650 cells and you may
be able to find replacement cells of the same or close enough type.

Keep in mind that batterys are consumables, be they primary or secondary
cells. Especially LiIon accumulators as found in laptops last only a
few years and 300 or 500 charge-discharge cycles. They are knowen to
degenerate faster when stored fully charged or discharged.
--

\end{Jochen}

\ref{http://www.unixag-kl.fh-kl.de/~jkunz/}