[geeks] job hunt...

Shannon shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Apr 3 00:43:02 CDT 2012

On 01-Apr-2012 16:34, Dan Sikorski wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 01, 2012 at 11:22:48AM -0700, Nadine Miller wrote:
>> 72K/yr is insultingly low, IMO, Shannon.  I'm in Las Vegas, and making more
>> than the offer you received from Dahlgren.  Las Vegas is not known for high
>> salaries in tech since the majority of folks employed here are Windows
>> admins.
>
> Actual $ amounts are all relative.  Depending on area, cost of living, job demand, etc..

Well, part of me agrees with Nadine... I was sorta shocked at the offer
because it is below both local and national averages. Their promise
after 6 months is more in line with what I expected for this area.

This company has a good reputation for stability, but my issue is if I
can believe that promise or not.

If the Navy's budget still sucks this June... I'm probably still out of
luck on the job in Dahlgren. They still talk to me every month or so but
have no new information. Shame because I really liked the people and the
work, and of course the pay was above average for the area.

The local naval yard is old and generally very stable, but I don't know
much in terms of how well their keep their promises. Money isn't
everything but a promise means little to me, I have to admit.

Of course, I can't sit forever on a contract I know is temporary either.

The only thing I can say is I did like the people at both shops, and the
work seems fine. Dahlgren definitely gets the nod overall but that's
pretty useless if they can't hire me.

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pgp-keys which had a name of 0x5936BC24.asc]