[geeks] the virtualization project

Shannon shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Sep 24 13:49:47 CDT 2011

On Sep 23, 2011, at 13:55 , Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:

> On 9/9/2011 12:17 AM, Shannon wrote:
>
>> I guess what I want is: Solaris with ZFS, but without the ugly directory
>> tree and packages... basically Solaris with ZFS, but with the neat
>> layout and package system of NetBSD, and first-tier Xen support.
>>

> Your choices:
>
> SmartOS with KVM, and ZFS goodness - but only on Intel VT-x CPUs, AMD not
supoprted.

Yea, we've talked about them before. Neither is really what I want. For one
thing neither of them does Xen at all and won't run on my hardware.

KVM's hard requirement for HVM is a bummer until I get at least one more
server and I just don't have the money for that at present. My test/staging
server is non-HVM so that limits my options unless I stage to one OS, then
back to several on a VMM.

Anyway, today's project is testing NetBSD-current and the new OpenIndiana.

Been a fun project so far, but soon I'm going to wind it up so I can get off
of Solaris 10 and upgrade.

The plan is to move things off Solaris machine to a staging server. Then
reconfigure the Solaris box as either a BSD or a VMM, and then migrate back to
it from the staging server.