[geeks] Introductory programming language?

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 09:56:19 CDT 2011

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 2:28 PM, Jochen Kunz <jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de> wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 23:13:26 -0400 (EDT)
> Mouse <mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG> wrote:
>
>> My sister has just expressed an interest in learning some programming.
> Why? What kind of problems does she need / like to solve?
>
> Actually I would start with some software engineering basics first.
> UML, LePUS3, design patterns, ... stuff like this.

Do you have any suggestions for reasonable intros to these kinds of
things?  Scripting/programming is the one part of being an SA with
which I continue to struggle.  I have the basics down (though am not
that efficient at them)--and, tbh, ruby has been a huge help in
helping me handle a bit more complexity--but I need more "theory" that
doesn't involve 300 pages of boring text that makes too many
assumptions about the readers' starting knowledge.

Thanks--
=Nadine=