[geeks] Has anyone used power-line communications?

Bob rjtoegel at verizon.net
Sat Jul 30 13:56:20 CDT 2011

 On 07/30/11, Nemo<cym224 at gmail.com> wrote:There are places about the
house that could use connectivity and have
power. Experiences, recommendations, and warnings are welcome. Thank
you.

I have FiOS and my experience has been:

Wifi - slow but workable unless you're playing your favorite online game
where it may lag.  Here, roughly 3.5-4 kB/s
Wire - higher speeds, more secure.  Only problem is putting in the
hardware.  Worth it.  Here, 15-20 kB/s
Transmitting on power lines - don't bother.  Noisy, signal leaks out into
surrounding area, can interfere with other radio communications

I include the last since the FCC and others have pushed this idea of
Broadband over Power Lines  (BPL) for several years now with disasterous
results in spite of their data massaging.  Electrical lines are not
suitable for carrying high frequency data.  My numbers may seem slow but
they are workable here.  I just did a test with my iPod and a speed test
app with our wifi and including all the other stuff between here and a
remote server in another part of the state, my results from the backyard
are: ping 15 ms, d/l 6.3 Mbps and u/l 1.39 Mbps.  Is this good?  I
dunno.  Good enough for me.  :-)

Bob