[geeks] windows 2000 migration

Shannon shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Jul 28 17:56:28 CDT 2011

My mother asked me to help her get a new computer.

I found one that will suit her running Windows 7 (trying to show her
Linux or a Mac just confused her, and for her there really is no point).

What has caught me off guard though is her question: How do I move my
profiles, applications, and data to Windows 7?

Microsoft has migration tools for Windows XP and Vista, but not 2000 and
their site says this is not supported.

Their solution is to upgrade to Windows XP first, then migrate.

Is that really the only option?

I don't have Windows XP handy, and I can't remember if you can do the
upgrade without losing the user accounts, data, and applications. Anyone
know?

Any other ideas?

I peeked around and Windows, especially older versions, has a tendency
to bury data in all kinds of places, so it seems like a straight backup
isn't going to get all of it, especially odd little bits that get stored
in configuration, etc.