[geeks] Virtualization (was: server wanted)

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Sat Jul 23 11:53:00 CDT 2011

On 23 Jul 2011, at 17:38, Michael-John Turner wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 05:07:40PM +0100, Mark Benson wrote:
>> I know, I posted to that effect a couple of days ago :)
>
> Whoops! That'll teach me to reply to threads almost a week late :P
>
>> Debating wether to dump the current Ubuntu config on my Microserver and
>> install Xen on it. I've never messed about with true Hardware driven
>> virtualisation before.
>
> I've just migrated away from Xen to KVM, primarily because of the
> uncertainly around whether or not Xen Dom0 support would ever make it into
> the mainline Linux kernel (which it now has).

I have KVM installed at the moment but one of the things that, in both cases,
has confused me is how to allow incoming traffic to each VM. One will likely
be a dedicated MySQL server, and another an instance of VAX/VMS running on
simh so I really need inbound traffic.

It's either work out how to do it on the HP or find a better solution for Mac
OS X 10.7 as Parallels keep screwing everyone when Apple release as new OS
version. You *have* to buy Parallels 6.0 to run it on OS X 10.7. The HP and
the Mac Pro are the two machines I can use that have hardware VT support.

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://markbenson.org/blog>