[geeks] tablets?

Jonathan J. M. Katz jon at jonworld.com
Tue Jul 19 17:49:20 CDT 2011

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 6:44 PM,  <gsm at mendelson.com> wrote:
> I did not think about that. Actually I'm running the PS3 media server
> ( a simple UPNP server) on two computers, but I don't think either is fast
> enough to convert videos. However a cheap computer (using existing
> disks) might do it. I tried media tomb but could never get it configured.

My fileserver is dual-core 3Ghz 32bit P4 system that isn't quite fast
enough to decode mkv-containered 720p video, but the uPnP servers do
the decoding for you so a raw video stream is what is served up. It
works with everything else we throw at it.

Windows Media Player also does uPnP services, but I've never used it.
I haven't used the PS3-based one, either, but I do use our PS3 as one
of the uPnP players to display video on our big-screen TV in the
living room.