[geeks] Xen server

Shannon shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Jul 18 09:14:33 CDT 2011

On Jul 18, 2011, at 09:43 , Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:

> On 7/18/2011 9:08 AM, Shannon wrote:
>> I've been running Solaris as my home server for a few years now and
>> while it works fine, its rapidly growing outdated and I don't really
>> like where Oracle is currently headed.
>>
>> I could do a straight conversion to NetBSD or whatever, but I've decided
>> instead to do something more interesting and flexible: move all my home
>> servers to a virtual server.
>
> I recommend Proxmox.com's free Debian Linux based OpenVZ and KVM (full
> virtualization) setup.  Web-based GUI for simple admin.  It uses LVM so
> you can take a snapshot of a VM and write it to disk.  No need to fiddle
> with Xen settings.
>
> Also it has a cluster mode and you can migrate VMs from one node to
> another without downtime.

I looked at it, but it seems to put everything inside a Linux based
hypervisor, rather than in isolation above it.

I was sorta intrigued by how Xen and VMWare do it, and Xen seemed the most
heavily abstracted and thin of them all.

But, I will take a look at KVM too.

Irony: I need more machines so I can test software to reduce the number of
machines I have...