[geeks] Xen server

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Mon Jul 18 08:43:18 CDT 2011

On 7/18/2011 9:08 AM, Shannon wrote:
> I've been running Solaris as my home server for a few years now and
> while it works fine, its rapidly growing outdated and I don't really
> like where Oracle is currently headed.
>
> I could do a straight conversion to NetBSD or whatever, but I've decided
> instead to do something more interesting and flexible: move all my home
> servers to a virtual server.

I recommend Proxmox.com's free Debian Linux based OpenVZ and KVM (full
virtualization) setup.  Web-based GUI for simple admin.  It uses LVM so
you can take a snapshot of a VM and write it to disk.  No need to fiddle
with Xen settings.

Also it has a cluster mode and you can migrate VMs from one node to
another without downtime.

--Patrick