[geeks] Mac definitions

Shannon shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Jul 16 05:38:15 CDT 2011

On 15-Jul-2011 17:56, Ben Greisler wrote:

>>> Dangerous how?
>>
>> Because it pushes your lower body into the floor in an accident if you
>> don't wear the lap part, and they were not as strong and reliable as the
>> non-automatic ones.
>
> In the OP he was referring to GM cars that had separate lap and shoulder
> belts. You wouldn't just wear the shoulder belt. Well, you shouldn't. :-)

I know, but the fact is a lot of people didn't fasten both, and the
accidents were gruesome when they didn't.

Dad used to show me pictures when I was a kid, that's why I'm so messed
up now.

> The reason is because they can guaranty that the factory system is installed
> properly whereas an aftermarket 4,5 or 6 point harness is less likely to be
> installed in any predictable way, thus my comments earlier about poorly
> installed racing harnesses. Unless the car is designed for the restraints or
> you build them in, aftermarket belts probably won't work as desired.

It would have to be an upgrade that worked with standardized mount
points. Cars would come with the current equipment, and you'd have the
option of upgrading.

Otherwise only a good engineering team could consistently design good
mounts, and the market would likely be flooded with a lot of dangerous crap.

> And honestly, do you think you could get someone to put on a 5 point harness
> if you can't get them to put a damned cell phone down?

Well, hopefully they only injure themselves, and the guys in the
ambulance will give them a nice multi-point harness to keep then flat on
the gurney.

> I used to fly an older Piper Cherokee that only had lap belts. I realized
> quickly that they were only there to keep the corpse in a predictable
> location.

Quote fodder...