[geeks] Mac definitions

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Fri Jul 15 17:41:08 CDT 2011

On 07/15/11 17:56, Ben Greisler wrote:
> On Jul 15, 2011, at 5:44 PM, Shannon wrote:
>> On 15-Jul-2011 17:12, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>> Because it pushes your lower body into the floor in an accident if you
>> don't wear the lap part, and they were not as strong and reliable as the
>> non-automatic ones.
>
> In the OP he was referring to GM cars that had separate lap and shoulder
> belts. You wouldn't just wear the shoulder belt. Well, you shouldn't. :-)

*WE* wouldn't.  But stupid people have been known to do so ...

> As for child seats having 5 point harnesses: The manufacture can guaranty that
> they will work as expected as long as the seat is mounted correctly. The LATCH
> system helps with that but on older cars that use the seatbelt to hold the
> childseat, all bets are off.

Yup.  I retrofitted our Intrepid with LATCH lower mounting points
myself.  And I intentionally erred on the side of over-engineering them,
using the largest size bar stock that the LATCH hooks would fit over.

> And honestly, do you think you could get someone to put on a 5 point harness
> if you can't get them to put a damned cell phone down?

See "protecting the stupid...."   :)

> I used to fly an older Piper Cherokee that only had lap belts. I realized
> quickly that they were only there to keep the corpse in a predictable
> location.

Heh.  :)

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.