[geeks] Mac definitions

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Fri Jul 15 16:12:27 CDT 2011

On 07/15/11 16:31, Shannon wrote:
> On 15-Jul-2011 10:29, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>
>> I actually really liked the seat belts in my 1970 Camaro SS350.  There
>> was a lap belt, and a *completely separate* shoulder belt with a
>> separate buckle, and neither had a stupid inertia reel.  (I strongly
>> dislike inertia-reel belts.
>
> This kind of belt has been widely shown to be dangerous. They even tried
> to make the shoulder part automatic for a few years, with disastrous
> accident results (i.e. worse than not having one at all).

Dangerous how?

>> I could pull the lap belt
>> good and tight across my hips, then leave 3" or so of slack in the
>> shoulder belt, in the knowledge that 3" was all the slack there was
>> *going* to be.
>
> Gaps between you and the belt might feel better, but they are dangerous
> and you should never do it. People don't like it, but the fact is they
> work better if they fit you snug.

Large gaps, sure.  I basically left myself just enough slack to be able
to move around a little.

> Beyond that in situations where you are under g-forces, the gap prevents
> another belt function: keeping you properly in your seat to control the car.

An inertia-reel belt doesn't give you any lateral positioning control
anyway.

Really, I'd much sooner have had a five-point harness.  But think about
this one:

If you have a child in the car, the child is REQUIRED to be in an
anchored child safety seat with either a latching shield, or a four or
five point harness.  A three-point belt is not permitted.

Why a four or five point harness?  Because it's safer.

But you, the adult, are not ALLOWED to have a five-point harness.
Because it didn't come originally with the car.  The law requires that
you wear the original factory installed seat belt.  You are REQUIRED BY
LAW to install a safer retention system for your child than was
installed at the factory, but FORBIDDEN BY LAW from installing a safer
retention system for yourself or any adult passengers.  The law requires
you to use the factory three-point belt that the law doesn't consider
safe enough to protect your kids.

Go figure.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.