[geeks] Mac definitions

Shannon shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Jul 15 15:31:42 CDT 2011

On 15-Jul-2011 10:29, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> I actually really liked the seat belts in my 1970 Camaro SS350.  There
> was a lap belt, and a *completely separate* shoulder belt with a
> separate buckle, and neither had a stupid inertia reel.  (I strongly
> dislike inertia-reel belts.

This kind of belt has been widely shown to be dangerous. They even tried
to make the shoulder part automatic for a few years, with disastrous
accident results (i.e. worse than not having one at all).

> It can be really hard just to get the seat
> belt on, if the car is parked nose-downhill.)

This is a design flaw.

No issues with the ones in my Mazda.

> I could pull the lap belt
> good and tight across my hips, then leave 3" or so of slack in the
> shoulder belt, in the knowledge that 3" was all the slack there was
> *going* to be.

Gaps between you and the belt might feel better, but they are dangerous
and you should never do it. People don't like it, but the fact is they
work better if they fit you snug.

Gaps cause spike compression and are very dangerous.

Beyond that in situations where you are under g-forces, the gap prevents
another belt function: keeping you properly in your seat to control the car.

I know a lot of people pull the belt and make a gap, and it just makes
me cringe.