[geeks] Crackpot project, need some guidance

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 10:52:25 CDT 2011

On 15 Jul 2011, at 15:58, Steve Haavik <shaavik at soc.lib.md.us> wrote:

> 1. Ok. What kind of computer? Do you just want to emulate an existing system
or simulate something new?

To start with, something really basic. Starting with single math functions
based on binary numbers. Next the ability to store and retrieve from a block
of 'memory'. Then on to something more complex maybe...

http://www.kaleberg.com/software/cardiac/index.html
> My first assembly class was on a CARDIAC (school didn't trust us not to
screw up anything expensive.)

My idea was to start from scratch, and I mean scratch, and design something
like someone in the 40s/50s would have done. Designing the instruction set and
logic then adding in memory etc.

> 2. Do you already know any languages?

PHP. Not an ideal starting point but it'd make a cool web page :)

It'd be an interesting way to learn C/C++ or Python though too. I want to pick
up those at some time.

> 3. Well, just start writing. The hard part of any project is usually getting
started.

This was my 'wouldn't that be cool' moment - I just wondered if anyone else
did it.

> 4. If nothing else you'll learn something. :)

That's the plan ;)

--
Mark Benson

http://markbenson.org/blog