[geeks] Crackpot project, need some guidance

Steve Haavik shaavik at soc.lib.md.us
Fri Jul 15 09:58:58 CDT 2011

>From what I've read, the sequence is:
  1. Figure out what you want to make.
  2. Pick a language to do it in.
  3. ???
  4. Profit.

1. Ok. What kind of computer? Do you just want to emulate an existing
system or simulate something new? http://www.google.com/Top/Computers/Emulators/
has some interesting examples.

Here's one I was tempted to write but never got around to...
http://www.kaleberg.com/software/cardiac/index.html
My first assembly class was on a CARDIAC (school didn't trust us not to
screw up anything expensive.)

2. Do you already know any languages? Do you want to learn something new?
I'd suggest using what you're comfortable with.

Emulating a PS3 in anything like real time would be an issue.
Emulating a Commodore PET on the other hand could probably be done in just
about any (modernish) language.

3. Well, just start writing. The hard part of any project is usually
getting started.

4. If nothing else you'll learn something. :)