[geeks] Mac definitions

Jonathan Groll lists at groll.co.za
Fri Jul 8 01:18:46 CDT 2011

On Thu, 7 Jul 2011 16:49:54 -0400, Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 07, 2011 at 02:54:59PM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> > think of it as the Linux distribution for people who secretly (or not so
> > secretly) would really rather be running Windows.
>
> If I would rather be running Windows, I know where to find it.
>
> In the mean time, Ubuntu is the finest[0] ready to run, general purpose,
> desktop or server, Linux system out there (at least, as of 11.04, if you
> switch back to the classic desktop for desktops and do server installs
> for servers).
>
> Going forward, they aren't infallible and there are some troubling
> signs.  If Unity doesn't come together quickly, then perhaps it will be
> time to consider switching to Mint or Fedora.
>
> [0] Obviously, IMO.

Couldn't have put it better. I can understand where some of the Ubuntu
hatred is coming from a UI point-of-view (Unity has caused a lot of
disunity), but I don't get the dissing of DEBIAN.

Especially for folks who are happy without a GUI, in my seriously
biased worldview the Debian environment is a very very good general
purpose server/desktop, esepcially if one needs to work with the most
modern F/OSS packages.

Cheers,
Jonathan
--