[geeks] Mac definitions

Andrew Jones andrew at jones.ec
Thu Jul 7 14:32:34 CDT 2011

On 07/07/2011 02:18 PM, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> But you can be arsed to get WINE working, then dink around with stuff to
> make it work in WINE....?  The times I've tried it, it's worked so badly
> and so unevenly I decided it just wasn't worth the trouble.

It's pretty simple.

1. I check the WineHQ App DB to avoid wasting my time.
2. I use a dedicated WINEPREFIX for every game, every time.
3. I install the game and play.

Step 1 prevents me from having to tinker with stuff.  (If there's any
tinkering worth doing, it will say so, at the top of the darn page.)

Wine is way better than it was ten years ago.  Getting Starcraft 1 to
work in Wine required some fiddling.  Getting Starcraft 2 to work was a
matter of, uh, running the installer.