[geeks] Smart phone data usage

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Wed Jul 6 14:52:29 CDT 2011

Soliciting the wisdom of the collective here.

First, the reasons:
Work issued me a crackberry when I was hired, and I (&$@^#^%@%#@ HATE
the )(*@$()*&$#^%^@# thing.  It can reduce me to frustrated rage in mere
minutes.

I have an alternative.  Work wants me to have a smartphone so they can
reach me via email.  But it doesn't HAVE to be a crackberry.  If I buy
my own Android phone, on Verizon's network, work will pay for the
Verizon service for as long as I work there.

However, if I'm going to buy and Android phone, I want one with a good
physical keyboard.  RIGHT NOW, the best physical keyboard on an Android
phone is reportedly the HTC Merge.

http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-merge-review

I've handled one, and it's ... not bad.  But I understand the Merge is a
niche phone with limited availability, largely due to unpopularity of
the decision to tie it to Bing for search and location instead of
Google.  (Have you *used* Bing?  It's #%*(&$^! awful.)  Also, by current
standards, it's slow and has a small screen.

There's what looks like an even better upcoming candidate, Motorola's
new Droid 3.

http://blogs.computerworld.com/18574/verizon_droid_phones
http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/17/motorola-droid-3-official-in-china-under-milestone-3-moniker-pa/

The catch?
The official release date for the Droid 3 is reported to be TOMORROW.
The last day to get grandfathered in on Verizon's unlimited data plan is
TODAY.
(This is possibly not a coincidence.)

HOWEVER.
The bottom tier in the three-tiered data plan that will replace the
unlimited-data plan tomorrow is $30, the same price as the about-to-end
unlimited-data plan, for 2GB/month.

2GB of *data* per month.  On a *phone*.  That just seems like a hell of
a lot more than I'd ever use.  BUT, I don't know how much data mapping
and navigation (pretty much the only data features I expect I'd ever use
on it, unless I write mobile-specific versions of some of my own web
apps) actually use.

SO.  If you have a smartphone, and you make significant use of mapping
and navigation ...  about how much data do they typically use?  How much
data do YOU use per month?  Assume I won't be streaming music to it,
watching movies on it (movies on a sub-5" screen?  Cthulhu forbid), or
anything like that.  I'll almost certainly never install a single game
on it, and the odds are against me finding a "phone app" I give a crap
about, beyond the web browser and maybe a notepad (though an SSH client
might be useful in rare emergencies).

How likely am I to even *approach* 2GB of data usage per month?  I
really have no idea how much data usage mapping (likely to be
infrequent) and navigation (likely even more infrequent) use up.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.