[geeks] Who else is on Google+?

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Wed Jul 6 10:29:27 CDT 2011

" From: Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net>
"
" On 07/05/11 21:25, der Mouse wrote:
" >> So far, the most cogent assessment I've heard is "It's like Facebook
" >> without the personal information leaks" ... but I'm not interested in
" >> Facebook in the first place.
" >
" > Also, speaking personally at least, I don't trust the personal
" > information leaks to remain absent, given (a) how abusive Google has
" > historically been towards the rest of the net, (b) fiascos like Buzz
" > where they have done something without, apparently, putting even
" > minimal thought into foreseeing obvious consequences, and (c) the
" > country they are in and the constraints they are thus under (I consider
" > a compelled leak to the US Government to be at least as severe a
" > problem as a leak to anyone else, possibly more so).
"
" There is that.  At least if some commercial company like, oh ...
" Blizzard or LiveJournal misuses my personal data, I can be reasonably
" safe in assuming they're doing it *only* for financial gain.  The US
" Government, on the other hand, is relatively unlikely to be motivated by
" financial gain, and has far worse things it can do to me than make money
" off me.

i'm not a google fan.

however, they've been remarkably upfront about how often they've been
tapped by uncle sam.  most everyone else hides this dirty little
secret.  blizzard and livejournal are probably rolling over at uncle
sam's request proportionately as often.  microsoft doesn't even charge
the govt for their requests.

" Related:  A recent Rasmussen poll found that 63% of Americans polled now
" believe that the US Government is a greater threat to individual rights
" and liberties than it is a guarantor of them.

that's good news - probably.  maybe we can finally summon the
political will to end this 'security theater'.