[geeks] Who else is on Google+?

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Tue Jul 5 16:55:22 CDT 2011

On Tue, 5 Jul 2011, Mark Benson wrote:

> On 5 Jul 2011, at 22:39, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>
>> On 07/05/11 17:11, Bill Bradford wrote:
>>
>>> You can find me at http://profiles.google.com/mrbill/
>>>
>>> (or http://gplus.mrbill.net / http://googleplus.mrbill.net )
>>
>> I've yet to hear anything it does that I want done that I don't
>> already have something to do for me.  So far, the most cogent
>> assessment I've heard is "It's like Facebook without the personal
>> information leaks" ... but I'm not interested in Facebook in the
>> first place.
>
> In all honesty, the grouping in 'circles' and the Hangout feature
> is pretty cool, but aside from that it doesn't do anything Facebook
> doesn't, however it also has no ads or stupid app invites so I could
> get used to it real fast... until Google put ads in.

OB: http://www.xkcd.com/918/

(don't forget the mouse-over text).

But yeah, best thing I did was cancel my FB account, twice...

The second time I went through and deleted everything before signing
out.  I knew it wasn't going to actually remove my bits from FB's
servers, but it was going to make it a bigger pain should I ever try and
go back.  The first time I quit and later came back, everything was just
as I'd left it when I 'cancelled' my account, ready to join back into
the time-suck it cane become.

Now, should I sign back in, the account would be clean and I'd have to
build it back up, which I really have no interest in doing.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org
Austin, TX