[geeks] Audio Recording

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Tue Jan 25 21:35:06 CST 2011

On 1/25/2011 9:25 AM, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> On 01/25/11 09:18, Dan Sikorski wrote:
>> For an extreme example, i had a coworker who, years ago, ripped his
>> entire cd collection on his laptop and encoded them with 96kbps mp3
>> because he couldn't tell the difference on his crappy built in laptop
>> speakers between that and the original CD.  As soon as he listened to
>> those files on something else, he immediately figured out that he had a
>> problem.
> I don't know how people even listen to music on laptop speakers at all
> in the first place.  They're *awful*, and the result is painful to hear.
>   headphones are an improvement, but my experience is laptops almost
> invariably have far too much electrical noise to tolerate on headphones.

Pet Peeve of mine:  My girlfriend listens to music on her laptop
speakers frequently and, often times the speaker on her android
smartphone.  The quality is so bad that it actually annoys me to hear
it.  She's pretty good to me though, so i let her get away with it. :)

I have a pair of ultimate ears that i often use on my laptop.  A good
quality of the headphones is their sensitivity, 10% volume on the laptop
is about the loudest i have ever listened to music with them.
Unfortunately, because of that sensitivity, i hear a lot of noise from
the laptop as well.  It's fine for when i put the earbuds in to drown
out the noise around me in the office, but for real listening, i get
annoyed by the noise pretty quickly.

     -Dan