[geeks] Got the CurrentCost meter installed

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Tue Jan 18 01:09:16 CST 2011

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 01:44:19AM -0500, der Mouse wrote:
>I think that means they can't sense anything but current, thus making
>it impossible for them to sense true power if your effective total load
>is not resistive (no power factor correction) and definitely not
>capable of correcting for things whose draw is not sinewave - such as
>switching power supplies, to pick a totally random example. :)

The point is does it really matter? The device in question is used to estimate
power consumption not truely measure it.

For example, how much electricity does a refrigerator use? Peak? 50% of
peak? 10% of peak? Do you only open it to take out a beer and close it?
Do you forage for left overs, sandwich fixings, leftovers? Is it cool
and well ventilated in your kitchen or hot?

Does your refigerator quitely keep cool all week and then run at high demand
on weekends because you and your kids are constantly looking for food and
drink?

How much does it cost to run a load of laundry? A load in your dryer? Heat
the bathroom (or the water) when you take a shower?

All important questions, but not ones you can get a truely meaningful
answer. Or maybe a meaningful answer is the average over a year.

Does it really matter exactly how much a load of laundry costs to run if you
are a single guy and run 2-3 a week? Or a family and run 2-3 a day? Probably
not. What is more important is how much you spend a month on electricity for
your laundry.

Of course some items such as computers generally use the same amount of
electricity all the time, and some items are used so rarely you can't estimate
them except from a single useage.

Geoff

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to misquote it.