[geeks] Got the CurrentCost meter installed

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Sun Jan 16 18:47:20 CST 2011

On Saturday, January 15, 2011, Bill Bradford wrote:
> Without electrocuting myself.. 8-)
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrbill/5357836479/
>
> I'm using this script:
>
> http://graham.auld.me.uk/projects/g-power/

Hmm.  It looks like it only include ammeters, and doesn't have any way
to measure the voltage on the wires - which means it's not as accurate,
and it's really measuring Volt-Amps not Watts (you're billed by Watts,
not Volt-Amps).  Still cool, but to an crazy pedant engineer like me,
not quite what want. ;)

I've got a couple of APC metered PDUs (AP7840 - though rated at "208V",
they work on 120V or 240V just fine) for monitoring computer loads, but
they have the same problem - they meter amps, and don't give me watts
(or even volt-amps for that matter),  Some stuff has a really bad power
factor which will make the volt-amp load much higher than the actual
wattage used (especially switching power supplies which don't have much
load on them).

For when I just "gotta know" the power usage, I have a real (analog)
power meter that I can wire in-line with circuit temporarily.  That was
handy to figure out how my Altix 4700 was going to affect my power bill
for the month.  I'd like to spend some time and set up a real monitoring
solution, preferably with SNMP access. :)

Pat