[geeks] SCSI-Ethernet on an 68040 Macintosh

Nate nate at portents.com
Sat Jan 15 22:49:13 CST 2011

On Jan 15, 2011, at 11:33 PM, gsm at mendelson.com wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 06:42:38PM -0500, Nate wrote:
>> On Jan 15, 2011, at 11:45 AM, gsm at mendelson.com wrote:
>> I wouldn't say they're that hard to use... and by 'correct' external
floppy
>> drives really just means standard Apple 5.25" drives (and the internal Mac
>> 3.5" floppy drive works as an Apple II floppy drive when running the IIe
>> card).
>
> The ones I had came from a IIGS, they had a plug similar to a Mac external
> drive, while the Apple II drives I had used a ribbon cable.

Ah, I became an Apple II user in the IIe and //c era, so it was after the
early Disk II drives (A2M0003), when Apple standardized on the DB-19 connector
with the later DuoDisk 5.25 (A9M0108), and continued it with the UniDisk 5.25
(A9M0104), Disk IIc (A2M4050), and Apple 5.25 Drive (A9M0107).

A bit of research reveals that only the Apple 5.25 Drive (A9M0107) can be used
with the IIe card (fortunate that all I have these days is the A9M0107),
whereas I've mistakenly thought that since all the DB-19 5.25" drives were
equally usable across all the Apple II computers that they'd all work equally
well with the IIe card, but it looks like I was wrong on that count.

>> Apple released the AppleTalk Bridge software as a free download, actually.
>> You can get it here:
>
> Thanks, snarfed it. :-)

Glad I could help!