[geeks] Droid 3 (Was: FS: iPhone 4)

J. Alexander Jacocks jjacocks at mac.com
Wed Dec 21 15:11:28 CST 2011

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 3:35 PM, Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net>
wrote:
> On 12/21/11 15:10, Jonathan Patschke wrote:
>> On Wed, 21 Dec 2011, Phil Stracchino wrote:
<snip>
> Recommendation:  GoGroove AudioActive bluetooth wireless headset.  MUCH
> better quality on both ends of the call than the typical wired
> mobile-phone headsets.

I dunno what anyone else's experiences with bluetooth headsets, and
bluetooth devices, in general, have been, but they are the banes of my
existance.

For example, I have a bluetooth speakerphone built in to my car, and
whenever another driver using bluetooth gets near, my phone and car
lose their pairing, temporarily.  I've tried a variety of phones (and
a tablet, just out or curiosity), and all seem to have this issue.
I've also found that bluetooth headsets are universally too quiet to
be heard over the ambient noise, in the car, and I don't drive a
particularly loud car.  In addition, battery life is usually not more
than a couple of hours of talk time, no matter what the manufacturer
claims.  This was quite annoying in my many years of phone support,
when I was an SA.

At home, I can't get a bluetooth remote control, or a keyboard, or a
mouse, to work reliably at a distance of 6 feet (!!), to the HTPC in
my living room.  I've tried a bunch of different bluetooth dongles,
and bluetooth remotes/keyboards/mice.

So, I've all but given up on bluetooth.  I use a wired headset in my
car, a _very_ long USB cable and powered hub, in my living room, and I
have a whole drawer of tested-and-discarded bluetooth devices.

Death to bluetooth!

- Alex