[geeks] dead pixels :(

Shannon shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Apr 26 11:14:13 CDT 2011

On Apr 23, 2011, at 08:56 , Andrew Jones wrote:

> On 04/23/2011 08:49 AM, Shannon wrote:
>> I got a Dell U2410 monitor to replace my dying NEC.
>>
>> Very, very nice monitor and it was $100 off.
>>
>> It arrives and naturally it has a dead pixel, dead center 3 inches from
>> the top.
>>
>> Impossible to ignore :(
>>
>> Anyone had any luck returning LCDs to vendors that don't want to take
>> them back?
>>
>> With CompUSA I called my credit card company and they capitulated.
>>
>> With Dell their tech support, at least who I got so far, barely spoke
>> English. So bad I basically had to hang up thus far.
>>
>> This is such a nice display but the dead center position and the fact it
>> is dead makes it super annoying.
> For non-refurb monitors, Dell has the most ample dead-pixel warranty I know
of.

> I would try calling them again.

I might do that.

I tried to use their website to report the issue, but the order support form
sends you to technical support if you select "report hardware issue". This
form requires a service tag and monitors below 27" do not have one.

It's not clear where you go to report an issue like this without just making
some generic support request (i.e. "lie" to the form).

Some good news: one of Dell's representatives on the forums did state their
policy was 1-5 pixels in high end monitors as industry standard. However, he
also said that if one occurs in the display center that also warrants
replacement.

ASIDE: This pixel actually appeared after a few hours of operation. The pixel
at first went semi-dark with a halo around it, then completely dark some
minutes to maybe an hour later. That sorta worries me, since it didn't
actually start out with one.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com