[geeks] Nice Printer?

Jonathan Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Fri Apr 22 16:12:45 CDT 2011

On Fri, 22 Apr 2011, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> I'm curious what your anticipated repair costs would be for the LJ 5M+?
> (assuming free labor ;^)

Well, refurbished maintenance kits are around $120, and HP have
discontinued the toner cartridges, so I'm left with $80 NOS cartridges or
refilled cartridges of questionable quality.  Plus whatever (presumably
nylon) gears need replacing along the paper path.  So, probably $230 after
shipping.

> The older printers are solid, I like my LJ4000 series printers I got for
> under $20 at surplus sales

I'll have to keep my eyes open for those.  If nothing else, 4000-series
spares are probably easier to find in good condition.

--
Jonathan Patschke |
Elgin, TX         | "He who is contented is rich." -- Lao Tzu