[geeks] operating systems to replace Solaris

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Tue Apr 12 20:27:32 CDT 2011

" From: Shannon <shannon at widomaker.com>
"
" []
"
" Today I tested a ZFS install of FreeBSD 8.2 on VMWare.
"
" I have one issue: when the system boots, the root filesystem is temporary
" readonly, which causes the boot to fail. It says it is trying to mount
" pool0/zroot as the root filesystem then says it cannot write to /etc/rc.conf
" and goes to the maintenance shell prompt.
"
" Going to the maint shell when prompted I can fix it:
"
" % zfs set readonly=off pool0/zroot
" % exit
"
" ...and the system boots up normally.
"
" I cannot figure out why this is happening.
"
" []
"
" I assume that FreeBSD keeps root read-only when first booting up, but for some
" reason this is causing some grief to the rc scripts and they are aborting when
" they cannot write to /etc/rc.conf.

sunos4 booted root readonly, then remounted it rw.  maybe it's an old
bsd thing?  i can only conjecture that freebsd isn't doing the
readonly=off when it should, before the rc.conf write[s].