[geeks] operating systems to replace Solaris

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Mon Apr 11 09:45:07 CDT 2011

On 04/11/11 10:24, der Mouse wrote:
>> I can get a two week long run on the cluster running Solaris and not
>> get a crash which cann't be said for linux or BSD
>
> I wonder what I'm doing right - or you're doing wrong - then.  Sampling
> the uptime of my most heavily used machines, all running NetBSD, I find
>
> 34 days
> 41 days
> 57 days
> 5 hours
> 72 days
> 35 days
> 41 days
> 1 day 22:37
>
> The "5 hours" one lost power this AM; the "1 day 22:37" one I was
> working on Saturday AM - I think I needed to install a new kernel or
> some such.  I haven't dug through logs to find reasons for the most
> recent reboots of the others.

Same experience here.  My uptime on this machine (running Gentoo Linux)
is only 21 days now, because I rebooted recently to load a new kernel.
Prior to that, other than new-kernel reboots .... hmmm .... I had to
reboot about five months back to swap out the video card.  At one point
somewhere during that period I had one abnormal reboot forced by a
software issue, but I don't remember now what it was or exactly how long
ago.

What I can say is that as a general rule, my uptime is limited by how
often I update my kernels, not by any stability issues.  On the previous
machine to this one, that was not the case, because even with an uprated
power supply it was a bit shaky when maxed out of memory; but that was a
hardware stability issue, not software.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.