[geeks] clicky keyboards with volume keys...

Shannon shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Apr 6 08:26:47 CDT 2011

On 05-Apr-2011 15:35, Mike Meredith wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Apr 2011 08:03:50 -0400, hike wrote:
>> I have both the Type 6 and the Type 7.  I prefer the Type 7 and the
>> newer mouse.  I wish I could trade my Type 6 keyboard and mouse for a
>> Type 7. _______________________________________________
>
> I like the layout of a Sun type7 keyboard - particularly the UNIX
> country kit layout, but the type 7 (and type 6) is a _long_ way from
> either cherry, or alps mechanical keyswitches. Once you've switched,
> you won't be going back!

Hmmm... I used to like the Type 4 Sun keyboards, and found the ones
after that were oversized and really mushy to type on.

> As to the original question, once you've eliminated the Matias, the
> Modular Mac keyboard is probably your only bet. Most mechanical
> keyboards I've seen around tend to access things like volume control
> through an extra layer on the function keys.

I looked at it, but it has keys to the right and left of the main
keyboard area, with no space between. I had one keyboard like that
before and ended up tossing it. Not precisely sure why it bothered me,
but it did.

I was going to get one until I realized it was like that. Now I'm not
sure about that one.

> Personally I'd rather compromise on the keyboard volume control than
> on the keyboard quality, but I've a nice volume control on the speaker.

I have a volume control too (Logitech Z300 sound system) but it doesn't
function for headphones and I prefer the software control anyway.

I might just forget it since it seems impossible to get what I want.

Right now I use a Logitech Illuminated keyboard. The layout is perfect,
but it uses laptop keys. I'm fairly used to it but they make me long for
a real keyboard.

I could just get a vanilla 101/104 key Cherry (not sure a good place to
get black my preferred color) or a Das Keyboard maybe.

Unfortunately in my area, there are no stores that sell good quality
stuff at all.