[geeks] Verizon's Int'l Call Blocking - doesn't

Barry Keeney barryk at chaoscon.com
Fri Oct 29 16:29:58 CDT 2010

On Fri, 29 Oct 2010, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> On 10/29/10 16:31, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
>>  Hopefully someone can help me on this.
>>
>> A POTS phone line from Verizon, which I have always had international
>> call blocking on, was used to make a 19-minute call to Europe.  Total
>> charges:  $80 ($4 a minute basically), which of course the real value of
>> it is like $1.00 or less.
>>
>> How is it, that a Verizon-provided line, using Verizon's LD service, did
>> not actually block an international outgoing call?  Is there some
>> "trick" that I am not aware of that allows such calls to be made?
>
> I'm given to understand the Senate is currently ripping them a new
> asshole over exactly this.  As I understand it, they will now - or
> shortly - be required to give you a warning when you're about to make a
> call that you do not have a service plan for that will cost in excess
> of, iirc, $1/minute.

   I think that might be limited to cell phone and there providers, but
I'm not sure.

   Something abot roaming charges and going over on minutes on your plan.

Barry Keeney
Chaos Consulting
email barryk at chaoscon.com

"Rap is Square Dancing gone terribly, terribly Wrong...."

"Michael Jackson has touched so many, and I'm not just talking about the children......"