[geeks] Sun Ray 100 leaving the mothership

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Sun May 30 18:13:49 CDT 2010

A friend and I are trying to get a Sun Ray 100 main-board to fire up away from
it's CRT 'mothership'. As the 17" CRTs are huge, bulky and in this day and age
of 2" thick LCD panels take up way too much room, we thought it'd be fun to
take the functional part out and see if it will work on it's own.

We've established the computer board has a separate PSU that takes in 250VAC
and have wired mains feed in accordingly. Also we notice the video connector
*looks* like a standard 15-way D-Sub, standing up vertically off the  board,
so attached a PC monitor to it.

All we get on powering it on is it sitting sulking at a black screen and the
orange 'fault' light lit constantly.

We are obviously missing something here.

Is the video 15-wy 'VGA' type video or is it a 15-way D-Sub wired up in a
non-standard way?

Is there something that gives the Ray a 'screen okay' signal that it won't
start without?

Thanks for any help - we already know we are crazy, so no need to remind us
;)

--
Mark Benson

My Blog: