[geeks] Ergonomic keyboard styles

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Tue May 4 15:36:15 CDT 2010

Tossing out my 2 cents, as I suffer from wrist and shoulder-related
(7th cervical vertebrae) issues, as well as thumb RSI (game
controllers :-( ).  I do not have issues with my fingers, nor, most of
the time, my palms, as many people with hand-related RSI do.

First, watch your posture.  Anything that takes your body out of
alignment is going to exacerbate your problems.  I no longer sit with
my legs crossed, and always try to have a seat where my feet can touch
the floor.  Also, check yourself to see if you are resting your arms
on the arm rests of your chair.  This can cause pressure on your
forearms, which can either create swelling, causing further internal
pressures on your wrist mechanics, or can put pressure on the nerves
in your elbow, reducing blood flow to your hands.

If you do not use a number pad regularly, and are small framed,
consider getting a keyboard without a number pad.  This will help keep
your shoulders aligned, and your upper arms closer to your body for
support when mousing.

Note how your mouse feels in your hands and whether it presses on any
one part more than another.  In my case, I found that a smaller,
flatter shaped mouse is necessary so that no pressure is placed on the
palm of my hand.

Note the position of your keyboard, vertically.  I am short, 5' 5", so
most desktops are too tall for me.  The best place for my keyboard is
almost directly sitting on my thighs, and canted slightly away from
me.  So, having an under-desk keyboard tray is a necessity for me.

I would encourage you to find a hand doctor.  They can get you into a
few sessions of physical therapy to learn techniques for stretching,
exercises, and self massage to release tension in your hand muscles.
Another thing to consider is that keyboarding and mousing
over-emphasizes the "gripping" function of our hands.  As a result,
the flex/extension function of our hands is ignored and atrophies.
I've noticed that my own grip strength is pathetic compared to before
my long computer days, which is kind of counter-intuitive.  I'm going
to be getting a Flextend glove exercise kit to try to combat this,
especially now that I am going to start going shooting regular since
I'm applying for a CCW soon.

Good luck--
=Nadine=