[geeks] Why we don't use Beta software in production...

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Wed Mar 31 16:22:14 CDT 2010

On 03/31/10 15:27, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> So, I decided to try using Ubuntu 10.04 Beta in virtualbox and it went
> fine, then I did an 'apt-get update' and 'apt-get upgrade', and after
> the reboot it won't boot, it stopped with a fsck error (block had an
> update timestamp in future (less than a day)).
>
> Repeated reboots cleared the fsck error, but leaves the system with an
> error in some tool called plymouth (IIRC). The install is dead.
>
> It's no big deal, but I was suprised a 'killer' patch appears to have
> made it out to a beta release...

Why?  The last Ubuntu dist-upgrade (9.04 to 9.10) was so bad that some
reports indicated 90% of users had *some* problem with it, and as many
as 30% had showstopper problems they were unable to solve except by a
clean reinstall.

And, to be fair, this *is* beta 1 of Ubuntu 10.04.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.