[geeks] Why we don't use Beta software in production...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 14:27:09 CDT 2010

So, I decided to try using Ubuntu 10.04 Beta in virtualbox and it went
fine, then I did an 'apt-get update' and 'apt-get upgrade', and after
the reboot it won't boot, it stopped with a fsck error (block had an
update timestamp in future (less than a day)).

Repeated reboots cleared the fsck error, but leaves the system with an
error in some tool called plymouth (IIRC). The install is dead.

It's no big deal, but I was suprised a 'killer' patch appears to have
made it out to a beta release...

I can rebuild it easily (it was just a 32-bit Server install, it took
about 2 minutes from an iso image), but the failure intrigued me...

Lionel