[geeks] iPad - a 'Miss' for me I'm afraid

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 02:48:14 CST 2010

On 29 Jan 2010, at 08:33, Jonathan Patschke wrote:

> Sure is nice to see all these bloggers talking about what a piece of
> silicon is/isn't that they haven't seen a datasheet for, let alone gotten
> their hands on and hacked at.
>
> "Not a CPU at all".  Pfft.  My Mac Pro doesn't have CPUs either because
> the Xeons have memory controllers built-in.

Regardless of their inability to describe the wheel, the information about
what's on it is interesting. I did, afterall add a caveat to say it wasn't
confirmed ;)

To their (only tiny) credit it's a SoC not a CPU but the boundaries, as you
stated, are a little blurry.

> "Nor did...Apple had(sic) anything to do with the creation of the CPU
> component."  Right, because you can just drag-and-drop an ARM core into
> Microsoft Visio for Semiconductor Layout and there you go!

Yes, I agree, that's BS.

I think I did actually say Apple designed it in my reply, i know they designed
it, they bought the whole of PA Semi so they could design stuff like this, but
by the sounds of it they just did a good job of wiring together some stuff
from ARM. Still, it'll probably work really well...

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://markbenson.org/blog>