[geeks] Dell PSU punt

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Mon Jan 25 13:57:52 CST 2010

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 07:54:40PM +0000, Mark Benson wrote:

> > I never knew about BTX, but now that I've looked it up, I feel that it
>
> BTX Never really took off, it's a nice general form factor. The Mac Pro uses
> it to an extent. There are, apparently, issues with the layout specification
> (with the CPU, North-bridge and RAM all sitting in one parallel airflow) on
> AMD boards however.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BTX_(form_factor)
>
> Explains most of it.

And that URL would be precisely where I looked it up.

I suspect the reason that Intel gave it up is that now they are in the
same boat that AMD was some time ago.

I don't know that I would agree that it is generally nice.  I don't see
major issues with ATX, and I don't see major benefit to BTX.  Yes, I do
see the argument about airflow, but lack of standard in ATX does seem to
have stopped integrated manufactors (say HP or Shuttle) from doing a
good job, nor does it stop many DIY machines from being well cooled.