[geeks] Dell PSU punt

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 13:54:40 CST 2010

On 25 Jan 2010, at 15:53, Joshua Boyd wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 03:48:01PM +0000, Mark Benson wrote:
>>> Gah, I hit send to soon.  I also meant to say that the Optiplex 745s,
>>> 755s, and Precision T3500s at work have a wierd internal layout that
>>> makes me think they might not be using ATX, but I suppose they could
>>> use
>>> a normal PSU.
>>
>> They are BTX. PSU pinout is same as ATX 24-pin *on a standard PSU* still
>> not sure about the Dell one.
>
> I never knew about BTX, but now that I've looked it up, I feel that it
> is safe to still call it a wierd internal layout.  I guess I can't call
> it proprietary though. ;)

BTX Never really took off, it's a nice general form factor. The Mac Pro uses
it to an extent. There are, apparently, issues with the layout specification
(with the CPU, North-bridge and RAM all sitting in one parallel airflow) on
AMD boards however.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BTX_(form_factor)

Explains most of it.

--