[geeks] Dell PSU punt

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 09:20:46 CST 2010

> can you check them with a dvm?

I can't get the machine to power on so that could be tricky. I could
try the old ground the green wire trick with an old HDD plugged in.
That forces most PSUs to start with no board attached.

> i vaguely recall hearing that dell deliberately swapped pins to keep
> their customers prisoner to their parts supply - but that someone
> makes a crossover cable to a std atx ps socket.

That's what I heard too but I've also heard they are/have been giving
it up as they can cut costs by using more standard parts. Who knows.
If it comes to it I found some new on eBay at a half decent price.

--
Mark Benson

http://markbenson.org/blog
http://twitter.com/MDBenson