[geeks] Dell PSU punt

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Mon Jan 25 09:12:04 CST 2010

" From: Mark Benson <md.benson at gmail.com>
"
" []
"
" I have just swapped out a Dell Optiplex 740 that sits and sulks with a
" flashing orange power LED.
"
" []
"
" The service book, in quite unprecedented fashion for Dell has the PSU
" plug pinout listed! It matches up to a 24-pin ATX supply perfectly
" except pins 10 and 11. They are listed on the standard spec as +12V
" and yellow. The Optiplex manual lists them as V_12P0_DIG and they are
" white.

can you check them with a dvm?

" So what do you guys reckon? Is it worth a punt or am I gonna let the
" magic blue smoke escape from it?

i think you'll let the smoke out if you try it.

" I may be able to source a genuine Dell PSU for reasonable money - is
" it worth getting that and waiting?

i vaguely recall hearing that dell deliberately swapped pins to keep
their customers prisoner to their parts supply - but that someone
makes a crossover cable to a std atx ps socket.