[geeks] geeks Digest, Vol 86, Issue 11

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 14:06:53 CST 2010

On Jan 20, 2010, at 9:13 AM, "Dr. Robert Pasken 300a" <rpasken at eas.slu.edu
 > wrote:

> He had already had geometry and Algebra I in junior high, and would
> have gone into algebra II in 9th grade. The Catholic high school 9th
> grade honors math was a watered down Algebra I and the 10th honor's
> geometry didn't include proofs. Had he gone to any of the private
> schools locally he would have been at least two years behind in
> science and math compared to his public school peers.

My son attends the same methodist school I did, and his math program
sounds like your child's experience. My son is in seventh grade,
taking eighth grade math, next year he will have Algebra I in eighth
grade. Algebra I is a ninth-grade subject here in NJ, and I think
that's pretty common. Your child was in advanced math, shadowed
someone who was not, and from that you've judged not only 'the best
catholic school in the area' as inferior, but extended that assessment
to all 'lesser' catholic schools as well.

Is there any reason to think your son wouldn't have qualified/placed
in an Algebra II class if he'd actually enrolled? In my experience,
smaller private schools are very accomodating for such needs...

But that is my experience, YMMV

Lionel