[geeks] geeks Digest, Vol 86, Issue 11

William Enestvedt William.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Wed Jan 20 09:20:03 CST 2010

Dr. Robert Pasken 300a wrote:

> More importantly religious schools rarely have the rigor necessary for
> good education .

   Speaking of generalizations and small sample sizes!

   *That* school sounds b0rked. But I wouldn't think it's
representative: you would have the same criticisms if it was public,
wouldn't you?

   Here's my sample size: I attended a Catholic school for three years,
then a public magnet school for three years, then a Catholic middle
school, and a different Catholic (FSC & CSJ) high school. I followed
that with two years at a non-religious-affiliated university (Tufts) and
finished up with two years at Boston College (Jesuit).

   I found the staff and students at the Catholic institutions more
caring and more rigorous, with the magnet program (which self-selected
better students and staff) the only exception.

   If I could afford it I would send my brood to a Catholic school.
Instead, here in Rhode Island we have fewer residents (much less
students!) than there are kids in the Los Angleles or New York school
systems, yet we have 29 cities and towns with their own Superintendents
and separate purchasing processes/agreements and labor contracts. Now
*that* is bad math!

- Will
--
Will Enestvedt