[geeks] geeks Digest, Vol 86, Issue 11

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Wed Jan 20 13:59:25 CST 2010

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 01:49:15PM -0600, Jonathan Patschke wrote:

> If I were to pick a mid-level math, I'd pick geometry/trig.  Trig is
> useful if you ever need to build anything, and the notion of proofs in
> geometry is great for building abstract thinking skills.

I would pick Calc 1.  While I don't commonly sit down to actually
differentiate or integrate equations, I still think that both, as well
as optimization for local versus global minima/maxima,  are good for
understanding the general world around you.  A certain level of
statistics is also important if a person is not to be victim of lies,
damn lies, and statistics.

Perhaps what is actually required should be a course of calc and
statistics for life.  The university I went to had a calc 1 and 2
class for non math/science majors, which was basically calc 1 spread out
over two semesters.  It was a required sequence for honors program
students outside of the sciences.  However, I would rather see general
liberal arts requirements be sufficiently covered in high school rather
than see people wasting their time on liberal arts college programs.