[geeks] Well, THAT was a setback

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Mon Jan 18 15:21:00 CST 2010

On 01/18/10 01:00, Jochen Kunz wrote:
> I second the recomendation to try with an other card as the 3C905B.
> This hardware is quite old. Given the high "innovation rate" of the
> Linux kernel it may be very well that the driver for this particular
> card suffers from bitrott.

Turns out, after rummaging to the very bottom of my box of PCI and AGP
cards, I had exactly ONE dual EEPro/100 left.  (I have SCSI ccontrollers
and VGA adapters out the wazoo, several spare sound cards, and even a
Canopus Pure3D card, but this is my last spare NIC.)  So, I just swapped
out the 3C905B for the dual EEPro/100.

Curiously, the card came up as eth1/eth2 instead of eth0/eth1.  There is
no eth0.  Also curiously, snmpd reports lo as interface 1, eth2 as
interface 2, and eth1 as interface 3.  Go figure.

Time to retest tape backup...

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.