[geeks] Well, THAT was a setback

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Mon Jan 18 00:00:29 CST 2010

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 20:50:40 -0500
Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net> wrote:

> Unfortunately I have neither a spare GigE adapter nor a GigE switch at
> the moment.  Now, that said, if I get a dedicated machine set up to host
> the tape drive, I could set up a direct point-to-point GigE connection
> to it from the main server.
You can do this with your desk top machine too. Put the GigE in a
different subnet, use the IPs in that subnet for backup only. That way
you have separated the backup traffic from other traffic that runs over
the 100 MBit/s Ethernet in parallel.

I second the recomendation to try with an other card as the 3C905B.
This hardware is quite old. Given the high "innovation rate" of the
Linux kernel it may be very well that the driver for this particular
card suffers from bitrott.

It may be a kernel parameter tuning problem too. E.g. on NetBSD there
is the sysctl(8) kern.mbuf.nmbclusters...
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen