[geeks] Linux tape backup help

Dr. Robert Pasken 300a rpasken at eas.slu.edu
Fri Jan 15 07:58:58 CST 2010

Mark Benson wrote:
> On 15 Jan 2010, at 05:14, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>

>> Linux uses gnu tar, yes.  But ...  have you considered using, say,
>> Bacula instead of growing your own solution from scratch?  All of these
>> problems have already been solved for you.
>>

> I will have a look at Bacula, it is included and supported in the docs for
> Ubuntu Server so it should be fairly straightforward to look at and delve
> into.
>

> --
> Mark Benson
>
> My Blog:
> <http://markbenson.org/blog>
> Follow me on Twitter:
> http://twitter.com/mdbenson
>
> "Never send a human to do a machine's job..."

Bacula is NOT a solution to much of anything. My brother works with
Bacula and he fights with it daily. It is overly complex to the level of
bloatware. IF and ONLY IF you are working with a large company with 10's
of thousands of unix work stations, multiple maxed M9000 servers and
multiple SL3000's tape libraries bacula  would provide a FOSS
alternative to pay software, but even then I would think 30 times before
trying bacula